- There has not been a new nuclear power facility built in the United States since the accident at Three Mile Island in 1979.
- The United States has 4% of the world's population but currently uses 25% of the world's available power grid.
- There are 104 active nuclear power plants currently operating in the United States that produce almost 20% of America's daily demand for electricity.
- In 2010, President Obama has approved an 8 billion dollar loan for the future construction of two new nuclear power plants in the state of Georgia, the first in thirty years.
- There is currently over 150 million pounds of radioactive waste and spent nuclear fuel stored in 121 various sites within the United States.
(Photo Credit / Harrisburg / National Archives)